Native Education

Frequently Asked Questions

If you still have doubts about enrolling in Native Education College, we invite you to speak with a  Student & Financial Aid Advisor to eliminate uncertainties

  • Apply in-person – Our admissions office is at 235 East 5th Avenue, Vancouver BC. We are located off Main Street.
  • Apply online – Complete and submit your application online

We do accept applicants who are mature students without a grade 12 diploma. Applicants can complete an English and Math assessment test to see what grade level you are at. Once completed, you can enrol into the Indigenous Adult Basic Education program to upgrade your English and Math skills.

You can request your high school transcript from the Ministry of Education for a British Columbia graduation program if you were a student who:

  • Graduated after 1985 British Columbia or Yukon Territory
  • Completed a Grade 12 course after 1985
  • Attended Grade 12 prior to 1974 in the University Entrance or Academic-Technical Program

Yes! If you are a band member and have a letter stating that funding is unavailable, there are many provincial and federal agencies that assist students who have been denied band funding. Make sure you apply early as agency deadlines close typically during the spring.

At this time, we do not provide childcare services, however, there are other community agency that can help. Check out the Aboriginal Mother Centre in Vancouver, BC or call (604) 558-2627.

The Indigenous Adult Basic Education program is the only program you can attend part-time. All of our other programs are full-time. For more information, visit our programs page for class schedules.

Indigenous Land Stewardships Certificate & Information Technology Support Technician Certificate are the only programs you can attend Online. All of our other programs are in person. For more information, visit our programs page for class schedules.

Most of our programs start in the Fall Term (September) and end in July of the following year. A few of our programs do start in the Winter Term (January). Visit the programs page to find out which programs we are accepting applications.

Reference letters are specified as either personal or professional depending on the program you apply for. Professional reference letters can be completed by someone you have worked or volunteered for and must come either directly from the contact person’s organizational email or signed and printed on the letterhead of the organization. They must outline the contributions you have given to the company/agency and highlight your suitability for the program.

Personal or character reference letters can come from teachers, community members, etc. These letters outline your suitability for the program and can include details such as community involvement, dedication to studies, etc. Reference letters can be faxed, emailed, or handed in-person to Admissions. Please confirm the letter has been received by the Admissions department after you send it.

Yes! Students can apply for loans on campus with the financial aid advisor or from their home computer. Grants are available through student loans so a portion of the total loan won’t need to be paid back.

Explore our Longhouse and campus!

We invite you to plan a tour or register for our upcoming Open House event; NEC is known for the sense of community that can be felt around the fireplace.